We’re looking to expand our growing team, and that’s where you come in…
As a pivotal member of our development team, you’ll act as lead developer on a number of strategic projects and product enhancements. You’ll be a fast learner. problem solver and critical thinker - someone other developers look to for inspiration. A jack of all trades, you’ll be confident in all aspects of software development, including dev ops, architecture and infrastructure. You’ll know how to build and configure a server from scratch and how to spin up pre-built servers on a cloud platform. You’ll be expert in frontend web development frameworks and deep knowledge of the backend stack including web servers, app servers, database, networks and virtual environments.
You will contribute to the great team environment we have, always keen to jump on call to help a team member, collaborate on a bug, pick up a peer review or resolve a merge request. You will get involved in planning sprints, providing estimates and updating our Jira board.
You’ll be customer focused and get satisfaction from designing and building software that solves important problems and has an impact. You are pragmatic and don't overdo abstraction, testing, and processes, but you understand the value and trade-offs required to build a sustainable solution. You are detail oriented, have great empathy for our end-users, and understand the value of good interaction patterns and design.
In our interdisciplinary team, you will also have the opportunity to get involved in the data science and Earth Observation side of things. We are doing exciting things with satellite data; developing algorithms, exploring the benefits that Machine Learning methods can bring to our customers, and helping people to improve the way the planet and its resources are cared for.
• A minimum of 5 years experience in software development.
• A formal education in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
• Demonstrate ability to solve novel problems and drive technical innovation
• Extensive knowledge and experience in web frontend technologies such as HTML5, CSS3, ES6, TypeScript, Material Design, Vue.js, Vue-Material, Jest. Mocha.
• Extensive backend development experience using technologies Node.js, Express, Nginx, Python, RDBMS SQL, No-SQL (or equivalent .NET, Java stacks)
• Significant experience working with scalable Cloud platforms such as Google Cloud, AWS, MS Azure, docker, Kubernetes
• Deep knowledge of operating system and infrastructure administration, including LINUX, network configuration, load balancing, VMs, clustering and virtual networks.
• Experience creating and administering CI pipelines (git, TeamCity, Jenkins, Azure Pipelines).
• Experience of dev (sec) ops tools and platforms such as git, GitLab, docker, shell scripting.
• Experience developing enterprise-grade web applications using industry best practices
• Google Earth Engine.
• Google Cloud Platform
• Experience developing “serverless” cloud architecture
• Firebase Auth, Firebase Firestore DB, Firebase Storage.
• Knowledge of GIS and Earth Observation
• Experience of scientific computing, Jupyter notebooks
• Data science and machine learning
• API Design
• Experience hiring, onboarding, and coaching new developers
We're a small, close-knit team that moves quickly. The nature of the work that we do is bringing together the different worlds of web app software development with the data science of satellite Earth observation. This means that there is a degree of experimentation towards our success, and we get there as a team. It’s a highly collaborative effort, with everyone having a voice that’s heard. Our developers are as comfortable having product vision discussions as they are diving into code.
Our development team is drawn from a range of backgrounds that reflects the diversity of our work. We know that exciting things happen on the boundary of these disciplines and encourage everyone to stretch themselves to learn at least something about every part of the Earth Blox technology stack.
Software developers will learn about satellite imagery and get involved in writing Earth Engine code in Jupyter notebooks, while data scientists will learn web development skills, so they can convert an algorithm into a web artefact - “an Earth Block” - deploy and test it.
This creates a hugely collaborative team dynamic where everyone can help and learn from one another and we can “swarm” team members to where the bottlenecks in the development pipeline are occurring.
We run a very loose SCRUM Agile methodology, typically running two week sprints with a single week for planning and review either side. Sometimes (well, alright, quite often) we break out of this pattern as the rapidly changing demands of a start up require us to pivot quickly to meet an urgent customer requirement, but we do try to keep to a structure as much as possible.
We kick off the morning with a “stand up” meeting, usually lasting 10 to 20 minutes, and then catch up with one another in small 2-3 people breakout chats throughout the day, discussing peer reviews, collaborating on design and solutions and working through problems . Once a week, we have an informal brown bag session where anyone in the team can share some knowledge, whether it was a new technique they have discovered, an algorithm they developed or just a really annoying bug. From the start we have all worked remotely and overcame the challenges that presented by being really supportive of one another - always jumping in to offer help and encouraging everyone (including yourself) not to sit on a problem for too long without getting some support.
If this sounds like a place where you can achieve your best work then we’d love to hear from you! In order to apply, please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
If you don’t tick all of the points above but you’re passionate about the role then just let us know, we’re keen to hear from you and we recognise that your CV is only one small part of the picture. You’ll get bonus points for sending through links to prototypes, code, or links to apps you’ve built.
Quosient is devoted to building an inclusive and diverse company. Black, Indigenous, and people of colour; women, queer people, and all gender identities, and individuals with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.